- These threads on the PCSX2 site. here, here and here.
- Any software emulator automatically takes on alot of overhead compared to the original console or system. This is simply the limitations of software.
- The PS3 has many different chips, which will all have to be emulated in sequence, unlike the PS3 which of course runs all the chips at the same time. For example, an emulator might run a scanlines worth of clock cycles, then emulate the graphics, then the sound... you see?
- The PS3 uses a Cell Processor with a PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHzper core. This CPU also have 7 cores. In an emulator, I can't even begin to think what kinda of techincal difficulties this would entail. Generally speaking, you will require a 10x faster CPU to emulate the CPU in question, but I think this is an extremely generous figure, the reality if probably FAR worse emulating the PS3.
- Lack of documentation, people have only just started to hack the memory of the PS3.
- Many more reasons which i do not know yet.
The people that make fake videos on PS3 and xbox 360 emulation are more often than not just attention seeking, sometimes, you get a person who genuinely thinks they have a PS3 emulator, and for some reason, it won't work... hmmm.. can't imagine why. Here for example
Here is an "interesting" blog I found that claims that he has a working PS3 emulator... i am disappoint if anyone believes him. I dunno, i guess some people will believe anything.
I just want to add that the fake ps3 emulators that arn't viruses may seem harmless, but in my opinion, it is quite insulting to the people that spend alot of time writing real emulators like the PCSX2 and Dolphin, and giving all their hard work away for free. It detracts from the emulation scene and makes a mockery of it... maybe I'm over reacting, i dunno, but either way, it's pretty insulting to the effort made by emu authors.
Here is a short, not very good video I made a while back exposing a forged PS3 emulator, it's pretty over the top but I hope it gives the message I wanted it to, PS3 emulation is not happening yet!